Saturday, December 17, 2011

Be Happy

Before moving to Houston, our family lived in Chicago for about 1 year.  It was long enough for me to experience one of American great childhood tradition...to go away for camp.  I remember that it lasted only 2 or 3 days, but it left a lasting impression.  All kinds of activities were offered: archery, canoeing, arts and craft, horseback riding, basketball, soccer, softball, etc.  I can't remember exactly how it happened, but I signed up for boxing.

Maybe I chose boxing because the line for it was short.  No sooner after I got in line was I called into the ring.  I saw my opponent for the first time as the supervisor (a teenager) put the gloves on me.  The kid stood facing me must have been the biggest kid in that gym.  But before I could make a connection between the big kid and the short line, my chin got in the way of his glove and a second later I kissed the mat.  Needless to say the rest of the round was a massacre.  The referee had to stop it early before the full 3-minute round was scheduled to end... at about 30 seconds.  I remembered climbing out of that ring laughing.  It was one of the best 30 seconds of my life up to that point.

I think life is no different from that 30 seconds.  No matter what happens, I  am here because I want to be here.  And no matter what happens, it will end eventually.  So why not have fun and be happy during my time here on Earth.  I may have to wait a very long time before I have a chance to go back into that ring again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment