Saturday, November 26, 2011

Hocus Pocus...This is not Bogus!

When I was about 15 years old, I put on a magic show for my younger bothers and sisters.  I checked out a book from the library and used stuff around the house for props.  It was crude but I maintained the intended illusions of all the magic tricks in the book.  My siblings loved it.  That was magic for me, a recipe with step-by-step instructions...sort of a one-size-fits-all approach.

Real magic doesn't work like that.  The step-by-step approach actually hinders real magic.  I think there is famous story about Enlightenment involving Buddha and his disciples.  Fearing loss of Buddha's wisdom, his disciples asked him what was his secret to Enlightenment.  Buddha acknowledged his disciples' question by smiling but he did not say a word.  He knew everyone would try to copy his way of reaching Enlightenment rather than finding their own way.  That would be counterproductive because it would take them much longer to reach Enlightenment.

No comments:

Post a Comment