Friday, October 28, 2011

The Error of being Right

After a long day at school I sat down at the dinner table with my mom who was tutoring my nephew.  "Two plus two equals...", she waited for him to complete her thought.
     "Three?"
     "No."
     "Four?"
     "No,  it's five."
What was that?  "Mom, two plus two is four," I had to jump in to right this wrong.  So over the next 10 minutes I got more frustrated by the minute trying to convince my mother of this established fact that is accepted by everyone else in the world.  I counted numbers 1 through 5 to her in Vietnamese and in English.  I even tried doing it in Spanish, hoping it might work since she had lived  in Texas for the last 35 years.  But for every one of my argument, she had one of her own to counter.  She would hold 4 apples in her two palms and said ever since she was a kid she could only hold 5 apples maximum at a time.  I would take another apple and add to her pile, but it would fell off as soon as I take my hand away.
     "See?  Two and two is five."

To be honest, my mom does believe that 2 + 2 = 4.  But there are many of my beliefs which she does not agree with.  I'm not talking about beliefs that are on shaky grounds like superstitions, or old legends, or urban myths.  No, these beliefs are facts, repeatedly proven by reputable scientists from all over the world.  These same beliefs are the foundation on which our modern technology and social structure is built.  But try as hard as I can, I can never convince her to see the world my way.  I often get frustrated and even angry sometimes when she can't perceive what I see as plain as day.  I just KNOW that I'm right.  Doesn't that give me the "rights" to show her my truth?

Of course, you already know the answer to that question.  No one has that rights, because it would encroach on the individual's free will.  And no one can mess with free will.  God doesn't even touch it...let alone us mortals.

When you declared yourself to be right and another to be wrong, you are creating division.  When you realize that there is no such thing as "right" or "wrong" then you are approaching Oneness.  And Oneness is where you find God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment